Verb: throw (threw,thrown) throw
Noun: throw throw
- Propel through the air
"throw a frisbee";
- Move violently, energetically, or carelessly
"She threw herself forwards"
- Get rid of
- shed, cast, cast off, shake off, throw off, throw away, drop, lose
- Place or put with great energy
"She threw the blanket around the child";
- Convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture
"Throw a glance";
- Cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation
"throw the lever";
- flip, switch
- Put or send forth
"She threw the flashlight beam into the corner"; "The setting sun threw long shadows";
- project, cast, contrive
- To put into a state or activity hastily, suddenly, or carelessly
"Jane threw dinner together"; "throw the car into reverse"
- Cause to be confused emotionally
- bewilder, bemuse, discombobulate
- Utter with force; utter vehemently
"throw accusations at someone";
- Organize or be responsible for
"have, throw, or make a party";
- hold, have, make, give
- Make on a potter's wheel
"she threw a beautiful teapot"
- Cause to fall off
"The horse threw its inexperienced rider"
- Cast a die or dice onto a flat surface and look at the number or numbers
"Throw a six"
- Be confusing or perplexing to; cause to be unable to think clearly
"This question completely threw me";
- confuse, fox, befuddle, fuddle, bedevil, confound, discombobulate, perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, dumbfound
- The act of throwing (propelling something with a rapid movement of the arm and wrist)
"the catcher made a good throw to second base"
- A single chance or instance
"he couldn't afford $50 a throw"
- The maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam
- stroke, cam stroke
- Bedclothes consisting of a lightweight cloth covering (an afghan or bedspread) that is casually thrown over something
- Casting an object in order to determine an outcome randomly
"he risked his fortune on a throw of the dice"
Sounds like: throne, t, throw
Derived forms: throwing, threw, thrown, throws
Type of: actuation, be, bed clothing, bedclothes, bedding, bump, chance, communicate, direct, discomfit, discompose, disconcert, dislodge, engage, express, forge, form, gambling, gaming, give tongue to, impel, intercommunicate, lay, lock, mesh, mold [N. Amer], motion, mould [Brit, Cdn], move, movement, operate, opportunity, place, play, pose, position, propel, propulsion, put, release, remove, send, set, shape, take, take away, turn, untune, upset, utter, verbalise [Brit], verbalize, withdraw, work