Verb: die (died,dying,dies) dI
Noun: die dI
- Pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life
"She died from cancer";
- decease, perish, go, exit, pass away, expire, pass, kick the bucket, cash in one's chips, buy the farm [N. Amer], conk, give-up the ghost, drop dead, pop off, choke, croak, snuff it, pop one's clogs
- Suffer or face the pain of death
"Martyrs may die every day for their faith"
- Be brought to or as if to the point of death by an intense emotion such as embarrassment, amusement, or shame
"I was dying with embarrassment when my little lie was discovered"; "We almost died laughing during the show"
- Stop operating or functioning
"The car died on the road";
- fail, go bad, give way, give out, conk out, go, break, break down
- Feel indifferent towards
"She died to worldly things and eventually entered a monastery"
- Languish as with love or desire
"She dying for a cigarette"; "I was dying to leave"
- Cut or shape with a die
"Die out leather for belts";
- die out
- (baseball) to be on base at the end of an inning, of a player
- Lose sparkle or bouquet
- pall, become flat
- Disappear or come to an end
"Their anger died"; "My secret will die with me!"
- (religion) suffer spiritual death; be damned (in the religious sense)
"Whosoever..believes in me shall never die"
- A small cube with 1 to 6 spots on the six faces; used in gambling to generate random numbers
- A device used for shaping metal
- A cutting tool that is fitted into a diestock and used for cutting male (external) screw threads on screws, bolts, pipes or rods
Sounds like: dewy, Deweye, dy
Derived forms: died, dying, dies
See also: die down, die out
Type of: ache, break down, change, change state, cube, cut out, cutlery, cutter, cutting tool, disappear, endure, experience, exscind , feel, go away, languish, lose it, pine, play, shaping tool, snap, square block, suffer, turn, vanish, yearn, yen
Antonym: be born
Encyclopedia: Die, Mommie, Die!