Noun: stamp stamp
Verb: stamp stamp
- A small adhesive token stuck on a letter or package to indicate that postal fees have been paid
- postage, postage stamp
- The distinctive form in which a thing is made
"pottery of this stamp was found throughout the region";
- cast, mold [N. Amer], mould [Brit, Cdn]
- A type or class
"more men of his stamp are needed"
- A symbol that is the result of printing or engraving
"he put his stamp on the envelope";
- Something that can be used as an official medium of payment
- tender, legal tender
- A small piece of adhesive paper that is put on an object to show that a government tax has been paid
- revenue stamp
- Machine consisting of a heavy bar that moves vertically for pounding or crushing ores
- A block or die used to imprint a mark or design
- A device incised to make an impression; used to secure a closing or to authenticate documents
- Walk noisily, heavily or angrily
"The men stamped through the snow in their heavy boots";
- stomp, stump, tromp [N. Amer]
- To mark, or produce an imprint in or on something
"a man whose name is permanently stamped on our maps"
- Reveal clearly as having a certain character
"His playing stamps him as a Romantic"
- Affix a stamp to
"Are the letters properly stamped?"
- Treat or classify according to a mental stereotype
"I was stamped as a lazy Southern European";
- pigeonhole, stereotype
- Destroy or extinguish as if by stamping with the foot
"Stamp fascism into submission"; "stamp out tyranny"
- Form or cut out with a mould, form, or die
- Crush or grind with a heavy instrument
"stamp fruit extract the juice"
- Mark, mould or decorate a surface with a raised design or symbol
- emboss, boss
Derived forms: stamping, stamped, stamps
Type of: affix, assort, category, characterise [Brit], characterize, class, classify, crush, device, die, extinguish, family, forge, form, impress, imprint, item, machine, mash, medium of exchange, mold [N. Amer], monetary system, mould [Brit, Cdn], piece of paper, qualify, separate, shape, sheet, sheet of paper, snuff out, solid, sort, sort out, squash, squeeze, squelch, stick on, symbol, token, walk, work
Part of: battery, stamp battery