Adjective: raised reyzd
Verb: raise reyz
- Located or moved above the surround or above the normal position
"a raised design"; "raised eyebrows"
- Embellished with a raised pattern created by pressure or embroidery
"raised needlework"; "raised metalwork";
- brocaded, embossed
- Increased in amount or degree
- Increase the level or amount of something
"raise my salary"; "raise the price of bread"
- Take from a lower to a higher position
"Raise your hands";
- lift, elevate, get up, bring up
- Cause to be heard or known; express or utter
"raise a shout"; "raise a protest"; "raise a sad cry"
- Collect funds for a specific purpose
"The President raised several million dollars for his college"
- (farming) cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques
"We raise hogs here";
- grow, farm, produce
- Provide for and care for during childhood
"raise a family";
- rear, bring up, nurture, parent
- Summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
"raise the spectre of unemployment";
- conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, put forward, call forth
- Cause to move upwards
"raise one's eyes";
- (construction) Construct, build
"Raise a barn";
- erect, rear, set up, put up
- Call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
"raise a smile";
- arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, provoke
- Create a disturbance, especially by making a great noise
"raise hell"; "raise the roof"; "raise Cain"
- Increase in condition, wealth, quality of life, etc.
"The new law raised many people from poverty";
- lift, elevate
- Add something extra to make more intense or better
"This will raise your enjoyment";
- enhance, heighten, increase
- Give a promotion to or assign to a higher position
- promote, upgrade, advance, kick upstairs, elevate
- Cause to puff up with a leaven
- leaven, prove
- (bridge) bid (one's partner's suit) at a higher level
- (card game) bet more than the previous player
- Cause to assemble or enlist in the military
"raise an army";
- recruit, levy
- Put forward for consideration or discussion
"raise the question of promotions";
- bring up
- Pronounce (vowels) by bringing the tongue closer to the roof of the mouth
"raise your 'o'"
- Activate or stir up
"raise a mutiny"
- (radio) establish radio communications with
"They managed to raise Hanoi last night"
- (arithmetic) multiply (a number) by itself a specified number of times: 8 is 2 raised to the power 3
- Bring (a surface or a design) into relief and cause to project
- Invigorate or heighten
"raise my spirits";
- Put an end to
"raise a siege";
- Cause to become alive again
"raise from the dead";
- resurrect, upraise
Sounds like: raises, razes, raised, razed
See also: adorned, decorated, elevated, increased, lifted, up, upraised
Type of: advert, alter, ameliorate, amend, articulate, assign, bet, better, bid, bring out, bring up, build, call, change, cite, collect, compound, construct, contact, create, cultivate, deepen, delegate, depute, designate, displace, draft, end, enlist, enounce, enunciate, express, get hold of, get through, give tongue to, heighten, improve, incite, increase, instigate, intensify, make, meliorate, mend, mention, modify, move, multiply, muster in, name, play, pronounce, reach, refer, resuscitate, revive, say, set off, sound out, stir up, take in, terminate, utter, verbalise [Brit], verbalize, wager
Antonym: level, lower, lowered
Encyclopedia: Raise, Cumbria