Verb: cry krI
Noun: cry krI
- Utter a sudden loud cry
"she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle";
- shout, shout out, call, yell, scream, holler, hollo [non-standard], squall
- Shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain
"She cried bitterly when she heard the news of his death";
- Utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy
"'Help!' she cried"; "'I won!' he cried out";
- exclaim, cry out, outcry, call out, shout
- Proclaim or announce in public
"He cried his merchandise in the market square"; "before we had newspapers, a town crier would cry the news";
- blazon out
- Demand immediate action
"This situation is crying for attention"
- Utter a characteristic sound
"The cat was crying"
- Bring into a particular state by crying
"The little boy cried himself to sleep"
- A loud utterance; often in protest or opposition
"the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience";
- outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation
- A loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate)
"a cry of rage";
- A slogan used to rally support for a cause
"a cry to arms"; "a war cry to arms"; "a rallying cry to arms"; "a battle cry to arms";
- war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, watchword
- A fit of weeping
"had a good cry"
- The characteristic utterance of an animal
"animal cries filled the night"
Derived forms: crying, cries, cried
Type of: alter, announce, blowup, catchword, change, denote, ebullition, effusion, emit, express, express emotion, express feelings, give tongue to, gush, let loose, let out, modify, motto, need, outburst, require, shibboleth, slogan, sound, utter, utterance, verbalise [Brit], verbalize, vocalization, want
Encyclopedia: Cry, Cry Again Cry, The Beloved Country Cry Cry, Cry, Cry Cry, The Beloved Mascot Cry, the beloved country Cry,the beloved country Cry, Yonne Cry, the Beloved Country