Noun: attention u'ten-shun
- The process whereby a person concentrates on some features of the environment to the (relative) exclusion of others
- The work of providing treatment for or attending to someone or something
"the old car needs constant attention";
- care, aid, tending
- A general interest that leads people to want to know more
"She was the centre of attention"
- A courteous act indicating affection
"she tried to win his heart with her many attentions"
- The faculty or power of mental concentration
"keeping track of all the details requires your complete attention"
- (military) a motionless erect stance with arms at the sides and feet together; assumed by military personnel during drill or review
"the troops stood at attention"
Derived forms: attentions
See also: attentive, inattentive
Type of: attracter, attraction, attractive feature, attractor, basic cognitive process, courtesy, faculty, magnet, mental faculty, module, stance, work