Verb: win (won,winning) win
Noun: win win
- Be the winner in a contest or competition; be victorious
"He won the Gold Medal in skating"; "Our home team won"; "Win the game"
- Acquire something through effort
"I won a passing knowledge of Chinese";
- acquire, gain
- Obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
"The home team was winning ground";
- gain, advance, pull ahead, make headway, get ahead, gain ground
- Attain success or reach a desired goal
"she struggled to overcome her handicap and won";
- succeed, come through, bring home the bacon, deliver the goods
- A victory (as in a race or other competition)
"he was happy to get the win"
- Something won (especially money)
"a major portion of the win";
- winnings, profits
Sounds like: wicker, whicker, a, wi
Derived forms: winning, won, wins
Type of: acquire, financial gain, get, triumph, victory
Encyclopedia: Win, Lose or Die