Noun: square skwehr
Adjective: square (squarer,squarest) skwehr
- (geometry) a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles; a four-sided regular polygon
"you can compute the area of a square if you know the length of its sides";
- The product of two equal terms
"gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance";
- second power
- An open area at the meeting of two or more streets
- public square
- Something approximating the shape of a square
- Someone who doesn't understand what is going on
- A formal and conservative person with old-fashioned views
- square toes
- Any artifact having a shape similar to a plane geometric figure with four equal sides and four right angles
"a checkerboard has 64 squares"
- A hand tool consisting of two straight arms at right angles; used to construct or test right angles
"the carpenter who built this room must have lost his square"
Verb: square skwehr
- Having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle
"a square peg in a round hole"; "a square corner"
- Characterized by honesty and fairness
"a square deal";
- Providing abundant nourishment
"four square meals a day";
- hearty, satisfying, solid, substantial
- Leaving no balance
"my account with you is now all square"
- Without evasion or compromise
"a square contradiction";
- straightforward, straight
- Rigidly conventional or old-fashioned
Adverb: square skwehr
- Make square
"Square the circle"; "square the wood with a file"; "square up the circle";
- square up
- (arithmetic) raise to the second power
- Cause to match, as of ideas or acts
- Position so as to be square
"He squared his shoulders"
- Be compatible with
"one idea squares with another"
- Pay someone and settle a debt
"I squared with him"
- Turn the paddle; in canoeing
- Turn the oar, while rowing
- In a straight direct way
"ran square into me";
- In a square shape
"folded the sheet of paper square";
- Firmly and solidly
"planted his great bulk square before his enemy";
Derived forms: squaring, squarest, squares, squarer, squared
See also: aboveboard, angular, angulate, conventional, direct, guileless, honest, honestness, honesty, honorable [US], honourable [Brit, Cdn], lawful, mainstream, paid, quadrate, right-angled, squared, squarish, straightarrow, straightforward, transparent, wholesome
Type of: adapt, adjust, agree, artefact [Brit], artifact [N. Amer], check, conform, conservative, conservativist, correspond, fit, form, gibe, hand tool, jibe, marry, marry up, match, multiply, number, paddle, parcel, parcel of land, piece of ground, piece of land, position, rectangle, regular polygon, row, settle, shape, simple, simpleton, tally, tract
Part of: checker board [N. Amer], checkerboard [N. Amer], chequerboard [Brit, Cdn], city, draughtboard [Brit]
Encyclopedia: Square, inc