Adjective: built bilt
Verb: build (built) bild
- (used of soaps or cleaning agents) having a substance (an abrasive or filler) added to increase effectiveness
"the built liquid detergents";
- Make by combining materials and parts
"Some eccentric built an electric brassiere warmer";
- construct, make
- Form or accumulate steadily
"Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border";
- build up, work up, progress
- Build or create something abstract
"build a reputation";
- (chemistry) improve the cleansing action of
- Order, supervise, or finance the construction of
"The government is building new schools in this state"
- Give form to, according to a plan
"build a modern nation"; "build a million-dollar business"
- (architecture) be engaged in building
"These architects build in interesting and new styles"
- Found or ground
"build a defence on nothing but the accused person's reputation"
- Bolster or strengthen
"build up confidence";
- build up, work up, ramp up
- Develop and grow
"Suspense was building right from the beginning of the opera"
See also: improved
Type of: ameliorate, amend, base, better, create, deepen, develop, establish, found, ground, improve, increase, intensify, make, manage, meliorate, mend, oversee, superintend, supervise
Encyclopedia: Built Build, Operate and Transfer