Adverb: closer klow-su(r)
Noun: closer klow-su(r)
- (comparative of 'near' or 'close') within a shorter distance
"come closer, my dear!";
- nearer, nigher
Adjective: close (closer,closest) klowz
- A person who closes something
"whoever is the closer has to turn out the lights and lock up"
- (baseball) a relief pitcher who can protect a lead in the last inning or two of the game
- At or within a short distance in space or time or having elements near each other
"close to noon"; "how close are we to town?"; "a close formation of ships"
- Close in relevance or relationship
"a close family"; "we are all...in close sympathy with..."; "close kin"; "a close resemblance"
- Not far distant in time, space, degree or circumstances
"she was close to tears"; "had a close call";
- near, nigh
- Rigorously attentive; strict and thorough
"close supervision"; "paid close attention"; "a close study"; "kept a close watch on expenditures"
- Marked by fidelity to an original
"a close translation";
- (of a contest or contestants) evenly matched
"a close contest";
- In close proximity; crowded
- Lacking fresh air
"the dreadfully close atmosphere";
- airless, stuffy, unaired
- (of textiles) having little space between threads; dense
"a close weave";
- Strictly confined or guarded
"kept under close custody"
- Confined to specific persons
"a close secret"
- Fitting closely but comfortably
"a close fit";
- snug, close-fitting
- Used of hair or haircuts
"a close military haircut"
- Giving or spending with reluctance
"very close with his money";
- cheeseparing, near, penny-pinching, skinny
- Inclined to secrecy or reticence about divulging information
"although they knew her whereabouts her friends kept close about it";
- closelipped, closemouthed, secretive, tightlipped
Derived forms: closers
See also: accurate, adjacent, adpressed, ambient, appressed, approach, approaching, approximate, at hand, boon, buddy-buddy, careful, chummy, circumferent, close at hand, close set, close together, close-hauled, close-knit, closely knit, close-set, coming, confidential, confined, contiguous, cosy [Brit, Cdn], cozy [N. Amer], dear, distance, encompassing, enveloping, equal, familiar, fine, good, hand-to-hand, hot, immediate, imminent, impendent, impending, incommunicative, intimate, juxtaposed, near, nearby, nestled, next, private, proximate, restrained, scalelike, short, side by side, snuggled, stingy, surrounding, thick, tight, uncommunicative, ungenerous, unventilated, walking, walk-to, warm
Type of: fireman, individual, mortal, person, relief pitcher, reliever, somebody, someone, soul
Encyclopedia: Closer Close, Glenn