Adjective: last lãst
Verb: last lãst
- Immediately past
"last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read"
- Coming after all others in time, space, degree or being the only one remaining
"the last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel"
- Occurring at or forming an end or termination
"the last days of the dinosaurs";
- concluding, final, terminal
- Most unlikely or unsuitable
"the last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
- Occurring at the time of death
"his last words"; "the last rites"
- Conclusive in a process or progression
"a last resort";
- final, net
- Highest in extent or degree
"whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"; "to the last measure of human endurance";
- Not to be altered or undone
"the arbiter will have the last say";
- Lowest in rank or importance
"in last place"; "last prize";
- last-place, lowest
Noun: last lãst
- Persist for a specified period of time
"The bad weather lasted for three days";
- Continue to live through hardship or adversity
"how long can a person last without food and water?";
- survive, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out
Adverb: last lãst
- The temporal end; the concluding time
"the last of each round was signaled by a bell";
- stopping point, finale, finis, finish, conclusion, close
- The last or lowest in an ordering or series
"he was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last"
- A person's dying act; the final thing a person can do
"he breathed his last"
- The time at which life ends; continuing until dead
"a struggle to the last";
- A unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
- The concluding parts of an event or occurrence
"I had to miss the last of the movie";
- end, final stage
- Holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
- shoemaker's last, cobbler's last
- [Brit, archaic] A unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
- Most recently
"I saw him last in London"
- Introducing the last item or a series
"last, I'll discuss family values";
- lastly, in conclusion, finally
Derived forms: lasts, lasting, lasted
See also: closing, dying, fourth-year, high, inalterable, past, senior, sunset, ultimate, unalterable, unlikely, worst
Type of: activity, capacity measure, capacity unit, conclusion, cubage unit, cubature unit, cubic content unit, cubic measure, displacement unit, end, ending, finish, holding device, measure, rank, volume unit, weight, weight unit
Encyclopedia: Last, Lost, Lust for Four Forgotten Episodes