Noun: chapter chap-tu(r)
- A subdivision of a written work; usually numbered and titled
"he read a chapter every night before falling asleep"
- Any distinct period in history or in a person's life
"the industrial revolution opened a new chapter in British history"; "the divorce was an ugly chapter in their relationship"
- [N. Amer] A local branch of some fraternity or association
"he joined the Atlanta chapter"
- An ecclesiastical assembly of the monks in a monastery or even of the canons of a church
- A series of related events forming an episode
"a chapter of disasters"
Derived forms: chapters
Type of: assembly, club, episode, gild, guild, lodge, order, phase, section, social club, society, stage, subdivision
Part of: association, frat [N. Amer], fraternity [N. Amer], text, textual matter