Noun: words wurdz
Noun: word wurd
- The words that are spoken
"I listened to his words very closely"
- The text of a popular song or musical-comedy number
"he wrote both words and music";
- lyric, language
- Language that is spoken or written
"he has a gift for words"; "she put her thoughts into words"
- An angry dispute
"they had words";
- quarrel, wrangle, row, run-in, dustup, blue [Austral, NZ]
- Words making up the dialogue of a play
"the actor forgot his words";
- actor's line, speech
Verb: word wurd
- A unit of language that native speakers can identify
"words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
- A brief statement
"he didn't say a word about it"
- Information about recent and important events
"they awaited word of the outcome";
- news, intelligence, tidings, intel [informal]
- A verbal command for action
"when I give the word, charge!"
- An exchange of views on some topic
"we had a word or two about it";
- discussion, give-and-take
- A promise
"he gave his word";
- parole, word of honor [US], word of honour [Brit, Cdn]
- (computing) a string of bits stored in computer memory, the size of the base integer or pointer on a processor
"large computers use words up to 64 bits long"
- A secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group
"he forgot the word";
- password, watchword, parole, countersign
- Put into words or an expression
"He worded his concerns to the board of trustees";
- give voice, formulate, phrase, articulate
Type of: arcanum, computer memory unit, conflict, difference, difference of opinion, dispute, evince, express, info, information, language, language unit, line, linguistic communication, linguistic unit, oral communication, order, positive identification, promise, secret, show, speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, statement, text, textual matter, voice communication
Part of: dialog [US], dialogue, K, KB, KiB, kibibyte, kilobyte, song, vocal
Encyclopedia: Words, Words, Words Word, Word of God, Word of the Lord