Verb: identify I'den-ti,fI
- Recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something
"She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster";
- Give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property
"The almanac identifies the auspicious months";
- Consider (oneself) as similar to somebody else
"He identified with the refugees"
- Conceive of as united or associated
"Sex activity is closely identified with the hypothalamus"
- Classify or apply the appropriate name to, e.g. in botany or biology
- discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe, name
- Consider to be equal or the same
"He identified his brother as one of the fugitives"
Derived forms: identified, identifies, identifying
Type of: associate, colligate, connect, consider, denote, determine, link, link up, reckon, recognise [Brit], recognize, refer, regard, relate, see, set, tie in, view