Noun: brother brú-dhu(r)
- A male with the same parents as someone else
"my brother still lives with our parents";
- blood brother
- (religion) a male person who is a fellow member (of a fraternity, religion or other group)
"none of his brothers would betray him"
- A close friend who accompanies his buddies in their activities
- buddy, chum, crony, pal, sidekick, bud [N. Amer, informal], compadre, paisano [US]
- Used as a term of address for those male persons engaged in the same movement
- (Roman Catholic Church) a title given to a monk and used as form of address
"a Benedictine Brother"
Derived forms: Brothers, brothers
Type of: fellow member, friend, male sibling, member, monastic, monk
Part of: brotherhood, fraternity, sodality
Encyclopedia: Brother, Cry for Me