Verb: look lûk
Noun: look lûk
- Perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards
"She looked over the expanse of land"; "Look at your child!"; "Look--a deer in the backyard!"
- Give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"This project looks fishy";
- appear, seem
- Have a certain outward or facial expression
"How does she look?"; "The child looks unhappy"; "She looked pale after the surgery"
- Spend time trying to find
"Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"; "We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest";
- Be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
"The house looks north"; "My backyard look onto the pond";
- front, face
- Take charge of or deal with
"I must look to this matter";
- attend, take care, see
- Convey by one's expression
"She looked her devotion to me"
- Look forward to the probable occurrence of
"She is looking to a promotion";
- expect, await, wait
- Accord in appearance with
"You don't look your age!"
- Have faith or confidence in
"Look to your friends for support";
- count, bet, depend, calculate, reckon
- The feelings expressed on a person's face
"a look of triumph";
- expression, aspect, facial expression, face
- The act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually
"he went out to have a look"; "his look was fixed on her eyes";
- looking, looking at, gander
- Physical appearance
"I don't like the looks of this place"
- The general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"a clergyman improved the look of the meeting";
- spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor [US], flavour [Brit, Cdn], smell
Derived forms: looked, looking, looks
See also: look after, look away, look back, look for, look into, look on, look up, look up to
Type of: agree, ambiance, ambience, appearance, atmosphere, bank, be, care, check, convey, correspond, countenance, examine, fit, gibe, give care, jibe, lie, marry, marry up, match, perception, rely, see, sensing, swear, tally, trust, visage, visual aspect
Encyclopedia: Look, Don't Touch Look Look, Up in the Sky Look, Stranger!