Verb: appear u'peer
- Give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time";
- look, seem
- Come into sight or view
"He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; "A new star appeared on the horizon"
- Be issued or published
"Did your latest book appear yet?";
- come out
- Give the impression of being true, probable, or apparent
"It appears that the weather in California is very bad";
- Come into being or existence, or appear on the scene
"Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago";
- come along
- (dramaturgy) appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc.
"Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; "She appeared in 'Hamlet' on the London stage"
- Present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority
"He had to appear in court last month"; "She appeared on several charges of theft"
Derived forms: appeared, appearing, appears
Type of: be, do, execute, happen, materialise [Brit], materialize, perform