Noun: book bûk
Verb: book bûk
- A written work or composition that has been published (printed on pages bound together)
"I am reading a good book on economics"
- A number of pages bound together (regarded as a physical object)
"he used a large book as a doorstop";
- A compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
"his name is in all the record books"; "Al Smith used to say, 'Let's look at the record book'";
- record, record book
- A written version of a play or other dramatic composition; used in preparing for a performance
- script, playscript
- A record in which commercial accounts are recorded
"they got a subpoena to examine our books";
- ledger, leger, account book, book of account
- (card game) a collection of playing cards satisfying the rules of a card game
- A collection of rules or prescribed standards on the basis of which decisions are made
"they run things by the book around here";
- rule book
- A major division of a long written composition
"the book of Isaiah"
- A number of sheets (ticket or stamps etc.) bound together on one edge
"he bought a book of stamps"
- A record of bets placed and winnings paid out
- Engage for a performance
"Her agent had booked her for several concerts in Tokyo"
- Arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
"The agent booked tickets to the show for the whole family";
- reserve, hold
- Record a charge in a police register
"The policeman booked her when she tried to solicit a man"
- Register in a hotel booker
- (sports) issue a caution for foul play
- The Christian holy book
"he went to carry the Book to the heathen";
- Bible, Christian Bible, Good Book, Holy Scripture, Holy Writ, Scripture, Word of God, Word
- The sacred writings of Islam revealed by God to the prophet Muhammad during his life at Mecca and Medina
- Koran, Quran, al-Qur'an
Derived forms: booking, books, booked
Type of: accumulation, aggregation, assemblage, bespeak, call for, collection, dramatic composition, dramatic work, enter, fact, product, production, publication, put down, quest, record, register, religious text, religious writing, request, sacred text, sacred writing, schedule, section, subdivision
Part of: text, textual matter
Encyclopedia: Book, Zahedan