Noun: performance pu(r)'for-mun(t)s
- A dramatic or musical entertainment
"they listened to ten different performances"; "the play ran for 100 performances"; "the frequent performances of the symphony testify to its popularity";
- public presentation
- The act of presenting a play or a piece of music or other entertainment
"we congratulated him on his performance at the rehearsal"; "an inspired performance of Mozart's C minor concerto"
- The act of performing; of doing something successfully; using knowledge as distinguished from merely possessing it
"they criticized his performance as mayor"; "experience generally improves performance";
- execution, carrying out, carrying into action
- Any recognized accomplishment
"they admired his performance under stress"; "when Roger Maris powered four home runs in one game his performance merits awe"
- Process or manner of functioning or operating
"they compared the cooking performance of each oven"; "the jet's performance conformed to high standards";
- operation, functioning
Derived forms: performances
Type of: accomplishment, achievement, action, demonstration, physical process, presentation, presentment, process, show