Noun: cooking kû-king
Adjective: cooking kû-king
- The act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat
"cooking can be a great art";
- cookery, preparation
Verb: cook kûk
- In progress, happening or planned
"The project took a few days to gain momentum, but by the end of the week, things were really cooking"
- (of food) combine or process (e.g. heat) to make ready for eating
"Cook me dinner, please";
- fix, ready, make, prepare
- Transform and make suitable for consumption by heating
"These potatoes have to cook for 20 minutes"
- Tamper, with the purpose of deception
"cook the books";
- fudge, manipulate, fake, falsify, wangle, misrepresent, spoof
- Transform by heating
"The apothecary cooked the medicinal mixture in a big iron kettle"
Derived forms: cookings
See also: cook up
Type of: alter, change, change integrity, change of state, cheat, chisel, create from raw material, create from raw stuff, modify
Encyclopedia: Cooking, high altitude Cook, Quentin