Verb: register re-jis-tu(r)
Noun: register re-jis-tu(r)
- Record in writing; enter into a book of names, events or transactions
- (law) record in a public office or in a court of law
"register for divorce";
- Enrol to vote
"register for an election"
- Be aware of
"Did you register any change when I pressed the button?";
- Indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
- read, show, record
- Have one's name listed as a candidate for several parties
- Show in one's face
"Her surprise did not register"
- (music) manipulate the registers of an organ
- Send by registered mail
"I'd like to register this letter"
- Enter into someone's consciousness
"Did this event register in your parents' minds?"
- An official written record of names, events or transactions
- (music) the timbre that is characteristic of a certain range and manner of production of the human voice or of different pipe organ stops or of different musical instruments
- A book in which names and transactions are listed
- (computing) memory device that is the part of computer memory that has a specific address and that is used to hold information of a specific kind
- An air passage (usually in the floor or a wall of a room) for admitting or excluding heated air from the room
- A regulator (as a sliding plate) for regulating the flow of air into a furnace or other heating device
- A cashbox with an adding machine to register transactions; used in shops to add up the bill
- cash register, till
- (printing) the exact alignment of lines, margins and colours
- (linguistics) the style of a language used in a particular context
Derived forms: registered, registers, registering
Type of: affect, air duct, air passage, airway, campaign, cashbox, enrol [Brit, Cdn], enroll [N. Amer], enter, indicate, inscribe, mail, memory device, money box, play, post [Brit], put down, quality, record, recruit, regulator, run, send, show, show up, storage device, till, timber [non-standard], timbre, tone, written account, written record
Part of: computer memory, computer storage, furnace, memory, memory board, oven, storage, store
Encyclopedia: Register, Georgia