Verb: buy (bought) bI
Noun: buy bI
- Obtain in exchange for payment
"She buys for the big department store";
- (crime) make illegal payments to in exchange for favours or influence
"This judge can be bought";
- bribe, corrupt, grease one's palms
- Be worth or be capable of buying
"This sum will buy you a ride on the train"
- Acquire by trade, sacrifice or exchange
"She wanted to buy his love with her dedication to him and his work"
- Accept as true
"I can't buy this story"
- An advantageous purchase
"the stock was a real buy at that price";
- bargain, steal, snip [Brit]
Sounds like: by, bye, bi
Derived forms: bought, buys, buying
See also: buy in, buy up
Type of: acquire, be, believe, get, pay, purchase
Encyclopedia: Buy, Kostroma Oblast