Verb: ride (rode,ridden) rId
Noun: ride rId
- (riding) Sit and travel on the back of an animal, usually while controlling its motion
"Did you ever ride a camel?";
- Be carried or travel on or in a vehicle
"I ride to work in a bus"; "He rides the subway downtown every day"
- Continue undisturbed and without interference
"Let it ride"
- Move like a floating object
"The moon rode high in the night sky"
- [N. Amer] Deliberately provoke by mocking or poking fun, often in an aggressive manner
"Don't ride me so hard over my failure";
- tease, razz [N. Amer], rag, cod, bait, taunt, twit, rally, wind up [Brit]
- Be sustained, supported or borne
"His glasses rode high on his nose"; "The child rode on his mother's hips"; "She rode a wave of popularity"; "The brothers rode to an easy victory on their father's political name"
- Have certain properties when driven
"This car rides smoothly";
- Be contingent on
"The outcomes rides on the results of the election";
- depend on, devolve on, depend upon, turn on, hinge on, hinge upon
- Lie moored or anchored
"Ship rides at anchor"
- Sit on and control a vehicle
"He rides his bicycle to work every day"; "She loves to ride her new motorcycle through town"
- Climb up on the body
"Shorts that ride up"; "This skirt keeps riding up my legs"
- Ride over, along, or through
"Ride the freeways of California"
- Keep partially engaged by slightly depressing a pedal with the foot
"Don't ride the clutch!"
- Copulate with
"The bull was riding the cow";
- A journey in a vehicle (usually an automobile)
"he took the family for a ride in his new car";
- A mechanical device that you ride for amusement or excitement
- An instance of riding; the act of riding an animal
Derived forms: rode, ridden, rides, riding
Type of: bemock, climb, climb up, continue, copulate, couple, engage, float, go, go along, go on, go up, journey, journeying, keep, lie, lock, locomote, mate, mechanical device, mesh, mock, mount, move, operate, pair, proceed, travel
Part of: amusement park, funfair [Brit], pleasure ground
Encyclopedia: Ride, Sally Kristen