Noun: surgery sur-ju-ree
- The branch of medical science that treats disease or injury by operative procedures
"he is professor of surgery at the Harvard Medical School"
- (surgery) a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body
"he died while undergoing surgery";
- operation, surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process, op
- [Brit] A time during which an MP, doctor or other professional is available for consultation and advice
- A room in a hospital equipped for the performance of surgical operations
- operating room [N. Amer], OR [N. Amer], operating theater [US], operating theatre, theatre [Brit]
- [Brit] A room where a doctor or dentist can be consulted
"he read the warning in the doctor's surgery"
Derived forms: surgeries
Type of: hospital room, medical procedure, medical science, room
Encyclopedia: Surgery Surgery, oral Surgery, plastic