Noun: fermenting fu(r)'men-ting
Verb: ferment 'fur,ment
- A process in which an agent causes an organic substance to break down into simpler substances; especially, the anaerobic breakdown of sugar into alcohol
- zymosis, zymolysis, fermentation
- Cause to undergo fermentation
"We ferment the grapes for a very long time to achieve high alcohol content";
- Go sour or spoil
"The milk has fermented";
- sour, turn, work
- Be in an agitated or excited state
"The Middle East is fermenting"; "Her mind ferments"
- Work up into agitation or excitement
"Islam is fermenting Africa"
Type of: boil, change state, chemical action, chemical change, chemical process, convert, fire up, heat, ignite, inflame, seethe, stir up, turn, wake
Encyclopedia: Fermenting Ferment