Noun: content kun'tent
Adjective: content kun'tent
- Everything that is included in a collection and that is held or included in something
"he emptied the contents of his pockets"; "the two groups were similar in content"
- What a communication is about; the information conveyed or area of interest
- message, subject matter, substance
- The proportion of a substance that is contained in a mixture or alloy etc.
- The amount that can be contained
- The sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- cognitive content, mental object
- The state of being contented with your situation in life
"they could read to their hearts' content";
- Something (a person or object or scene) selected by an artist or photographer for graphic representation
"a moving picture of a train is more dramatic than a still picture of the same content";
- subject, depicted object
Verb: content kun'tent
- Satisfied or showing satisfaction with things as they are
"a content smile";
- Satisfy in a limited way
"He contented himself with one glass of beer per day"
- Make or become satisfied
"I am contented"
Derived forms: contents, contenting, contented
See also: complacent, happy, pleased, satisfied, self-complacent, self-satisfied, smug
Type of: acceptance, accumulation, aggregation, assemblage, circumscribe, cognition, collection, communication, confine, gratify, knowledge, limit, noesis, proportion, satisfy, thing, volume
Part of: scene, view
Encyclopedia: Content, Pennsylvania