Noun: thing thing
- A special situation
"this thing has got to end"; "it is a remarkable thing"
- An action
"how could you do such a thing?"
- A special abstraction
"a thing of the spirit"; "things of the heart"
- An artifact
"how does this thing work?"
- An event
"a funny thing happened on the way to the..."
- A vaguely specified concern
"things are going well";
- matter, affair
- A statement regarded as an object
"to say the same thing in other terms"; "how can you say such a thing?"
- An entity that is not named specifically
"I couldn't tell what the thing was"
- Any attribute or quality considered as having its own existence
"the thing I like about her is ..."
- A special objective
"the thing is to stay in bounds"
- A persistent illogical feeling of desire or aversion
"he has a thing about seafood"; "she has a thing about him"
- A separate and self-contained entity
Derived forms: things
Type of: abstract, abstraction, action, aim, artefact [Brit], artifact [N. Amer], attribute, concern, entity, feeling, happening, natural event, object, objective, occurrence, occurrent, physical entity, situation, state of affairs, statement, target