Adjective: isolating 'I-su,ley-ting
Verb: isolate 'I-su,leyt
- Relating to or being a language in which each word typically expresses a distinct idea and part of speech and syntactical relations are determined almost exclusively by word order and particles
"The difference is the innate isolating mechanism"
- Separate in order to protect or prevent interaction
"They isolated the political prisoners from the other inmates";
- (chemistry) obtain in pure form
"The chemist managed to isolate the compound"
- Set apart from others
"The dentist isolates the tooth he is working on";
- sequester, sequestrate, keep apart, set apart
- (psychology) separate (experiences) from the emotions relating to them
See also: analytic, uninflected
Type of: acquire, assort, class, classify, discriminate, disunite, divide, get, part, separate, single out, sort, sort out
Encyclopedia: Isolating Isolate