Adverb: only own-lee
Adjective: only own-lee
- And nothing more
"he was only a child";
- merely, simply, just, but
- Without any others being included or involved
"a privilege granted only to him";
- entirely, exclusively, solely, alone, purely
- With nevertheless the final result
"He arrived only to find his wife dead"; "We won only to lose again in the next round"
- In the final outcome
"The news will only make you more upset"
- Except that
"It was the same story; only this time she came out better"
- Never except when
"call me only if your cold gets worse";
- only if, only when
- As recently as
"I spoke to him only an hour ago"
- Being the only one; single and isolated from others
"an only child";
- lone, lonesome, sole, solitary
- Exclusive of anyone or anything else
"I'll have this car and this car only";
See also: exclusive, single