Verb: resile ri'zI(-u)l
- Pull out from an agreement, contract, statement, etc.
"The landlord cannot resile from the lease"
- Move back in a roughly opposite direction after an impact
"These particles do not resile but they unite after they collide";
- bounce, take a hop, spring, bound, rebound, recoil, reverberate, ricochet
- Formally reject or disavow a formerly held belief, usually under pressure
"She resiled her beliefs";
- abjure, recant, forswear, retract
- Return to the original position or state after being stretched or compressed
"The rubber tubes resile"
Derived forms: resiles, resiled, resiling
Type of: back down, back off, bound, bow out, chicken out, disown, jump, leap, pull out, regress, renounce, repudiate, retrovert, return, revert, spring, turn back