Verb: scan (scanned,scanning) skan
Noun: scan skan
- Examine minutely or intensely
"the surgeon scanned the X-ray"
- Examine hastily
"She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi";
- skim, rake, glance over, run down
- Make a wide, sweeping search of
"The beams scanned the night sky"
- (poetry) conform to a metrical pattern
- Move a light beam over; in electronics, to reproduce an image
- Read metrically
- Obtain data from magnetic tapes
- The act of scanning; systematic examination of a prescribed region
"he made a thorough scan of the beach with his binoculars"
- An image produced by scanning
"he analysed the brain scan"; "you could see the tumour in the CAT scan";
- CAT scan
Derived forms: scanning, scanned, scans
Type of: conform, construe, declaim, displace, examination, examine, icon, ikon, image, interpret, move, picture, recite, scrutiny, search, see