Adjective: scorching skor-ching
Adverb: scorching skor-ching
- Hot and dry enough to burn or parch a surface
Verb: scorch skorch
- Capable of causing burns
"it was scorching hot"
- Make very hot and dry
"The heat scorched the countryside";
- Become superficially burned
"my eyebrows scorched when I bent over the flames";
- sear, singe
- Destroy completely by or as if by fire
"The wildfire scorched the forest and several homes"; "the invaders scorched the land"
- (cooking) burn slightly and superficially so as to affect colour
"the flames scorched the ceiling";
- char, blacken, sear
- Become scorched or singed under intense heat or dry conditions
"The exposed tree scorched in the hot sun"
See also: hot
Type of: burn, burn down, combust, dry, dry out, fire, heat, heat up