Noun: strikeout 'strIk,awt
Verb: strike out strIk awt
- (baseball) an out resulting from the batter getting three strikes
- Remove from a list
- cross off, cross out, strike off, mark
- (baseball) put out or be put out by a strikeout
"Oral struck out three batters to close the inning"
- Be unsuccessful in an endeavour
"The candidate struck out with his health care plan"
- Make a motion as with one's fist or foot towards an object or away from one's body
- (baseball) cause to get out
"The pitcher struck out three batters";
- Set out on a course of action
"He struck out on his own"
Derived forms: striking out, strikes out, strikeouts, struck out
Type of: begin, commence, fail, fish out, get, get down, go wrong, miscarry, move, neglect, out, set about, set out, start, start out, take away, take out
Encyclopedia: Strikeout Strike out