Verb: begin (began,begun,beginning) bi'gin
- Take the first step or steps in carrying out an action
"We began working at dawn"; "The first tourists began to arrive in Cambodia"; "He began early in the day";
- get down, get, start out, start, set about, set out, commence
- Have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense
"The DMZ begins right over the hill"; "The second movement begins after the Allegro";
- Set in motion, cause to start
"The Iraqis began hostilities"; "begin a new chapter in your life";
- lead off, start, commence
- Start speaking or saying
"'Now listen, friends,' he began"
- Be the first item or point, constitute the beginning or start, come first in a series
"The number 'one' begins the sequence"; "A terrible murder begins the novel"; "The convocation ceremony officially begins the semester"
- Have a beginning, of a temporal event
"WW II began in 1939 when Hitler marched into Poland"; "The company's Asia tour begins next month"
- Have a beginning characterized in some specified way
"My property begins with the three maple trees"; "Her day begins with a workout"; "The semester begins with a convocation ceremony"; "The novel begins with a murder";
- Begin an event that is implied and limited by the nature or inherent function of the direct object
"begin a cigar";
- Achieve or accomplish in the least degree, usually used in the negative
"This economic measure doesn't even begin to deal with the problem of inflation"; "You cannot even begin to understand the problem we had to deal with during the war"
- Begin to speak, understand, read, and write a language
"She began Russian at an early age"
- Israeli statesman (born in Russia) who (as prime minister of Israel) negotiated a peace treaty with Anwar Sadat (then the president of Egypt) (1913-1992)
- Menachem Begin
Derived forms: beginning, begins, begun
Type of: accomplish, achieve, act, attain, be, mouth, move, national leader, reach, solon, speak, statesman, talk, utter, verbalise [Brit], verbalize
Encyclopedia: Begin, Menachem Begin Begin, Quebec Begin, Menachem Wolfovitch