Noun: point poynt
Verb: point poynt
- A geometric element that has position but no extension
"a point is defined by its coordinates"
- The precise location of something; a spatially limited location
"she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
- A brief version of the essential meaning of something
"get to the point"; "he missed the point of the joke"; "life has lost its point"
- An isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole
"a point of information";
- detail, item
- A specific identifiable position in a continuum, series or especially in a process
"a remarkable point of frankness";
- degree, level, stage, phase, phasis
- An instant of time
"at that point I had to leave";
- point in time
- The object of an activity
"what is the point of discussing it?"
- Sharp end
"he stuck the point of the knife into a tree"; "he broke the point of his pencil"
- A V shape
"the cannibal's teeth were filed to sharp points";
- tip, peak
- A very small circular shape
"a row of points";
- The unit of counting in scoring a game or contest
"he scored 20 points in the first half"; "a touchdown counts 6 points"
- A promontory extending out into a large body of water
"they sailed south around the point"
- A distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list
"the main point on the agenda was taken up first";
- A style in speech or writing that arrests attention and has a penetrating or convincing quality or effect
- An outstanding characteristic
"his acting was one of the high points of the movie";
- Any of 32 horizontal directions indicated on the card of a compass
"he checked the point on his compass";
- compass point
- A linear unit used to measure the size of type; approximately 1/72 inch
- One percent of the total principal of a loan; it is paid at the time the loan is made and is independent of the interest on the loan
- A punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations
- period, full stop, stop, full point
- A V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer
"the point of the arrow was due north";
- The dot at the left of a decimal fraction
- decimal point, percentage point
- The property of a shape that tapers to a sharp tip
- A distinguishing or individuating characteristic
"he knows my bad points as well as my good points"
- The gun muzzle's direction
"he held me up at the point of a gun";
- [Brit] A wall socket
- power point [Brit]
- A contact in the distributor; as the rotor turns its projecting arm contacts them and current flows to the spark plugs
- distributor point, breaker point
- Make clear (e.g. with a sign) which place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively
"He pointed to the empty parking space";
- indicate, designate, show
- Be oriented in a particular direction
"the dancers toes pointed outward"; "The weather vane points North";
- Direct into a position for use
"point a gun";
- charge, level
- Determine the direction of travelling
- steer, maneuver [US], manoeuver [non-standard], manoeuvre [Brit, Cdn], direct, head, guide, channelize, channelise [Brit]
- Be a signal for or a symptom of
"Her behaviour points to a severe neurosis";
- bespeak, betoken [archaic], indicate, signal
- Sail close to the wind
- Mark with diacritics
"point the letter"
- Mark (a psalm text) to indicate the points at which the music changes
- Be positionable in a specified manner
"The gun points with ease"
- Intend (something) to move towards a certain goal
"He pointed his fists towards his opponent's face";
- target, aim, place, direct
- Indicate the presence of (game) by standing and pointing with the muzzle
"the dog pointed the dead duck"
- Give a point to
"The candles are pointed";
- sharpen, taper
- Repair the joints of bricks
"point a chimney";
Derived forms: pointing, points, pointed
Type of: aim, amount, be, bushel [US], change form, change shape, characteristic, command, component, component part, constituent, contact, control, convex shape, convexity, deform, direct, direction, disc, disk [N. Amer], doctor, electric outlet, electric receptacle, electrical outlet, element, end, fact, factor, fix, foreland, furbish up, gun muzzle, head, headland, import, inform, ingredient, label, lie, linear measure, linear unit, loan, location, mark, mathematical notation, meaning, measure, mend, muzzle, object, objective, outlet, part, portion, promontory, punctuation, punctuation mark, quantity, relevance, relevancy, repair, restore, sail, saucer, significance, signification, state, tag, take, take aim, tangency, taper, target, tell, terminal, touch on, train, unit, unit of measurement, wall plug, wall socket
Part of: alpenstock, arrow, arrowhead, awl, blade, brand, cone, cone shape, conoid, distributer, distributor, electrical distributor, em, ice pick, icepick, knife, list, listing, needle, pencil, pica, pica em, pin, pointer, score, steel, sword
Encyclopedia: Point, Kyaukpyu Point, Cornwall Point Point, Outer Hebrides Point, Texas Point, TX Point, Sittwe