Noun: head hed
Verb: head hed
- The upper part of the human body or the front part of the body in animals; contains the face and brains
"he stuck his head out the window";
- A single domestic animal
"200 head of cattle"
- That which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason
"I couldn't get his words out of my head";
- mind, brain, psyche, nous
- A person who is in charge
"the head of the whole operation";
- chief, top dog
- (military) the front of a military formation or procession
"the head of the column advanced boldly"; "they were at the head of the attack"
- The pressure exerted by a fluid
"a head of steam"
- The top of something
"the head of the stairs"; "the head of the page"; "the head of the list"
- The source of water from which a stream arises
"they tracked him back toward the head of the stream";
- fountainhead, headspring
- (grammar) the word in a grammatical constituent that plays the same grammatical role as the whole constituent
- head word
- The tip of an abscess (where the pus accumulates)
- The length or height based on the size of a human or animal head
"he is two heads taller than his little sister"; "his horse won by a head"
- A dense cluster of flowers or foliage
"a head of lettuce";
- The educator who has executive authority for a school
"she sent unruly pupils to see the head";
- principal, school principal, head teacher
- An individual person
"tickets are $5 per head"
- A user of (usually soft) drugs
"the office was full of secret heads"
- A natural elevation (especially a rocky one that juts out into the sea)
- promontory, headland, foreland
- A rounded compact mass
"the head of a comet"
- The foam or froth that accumulates at the top when you pour an effervescent liquid into a container
"the beer had a large head of foam"
- The part in the front or nearest the viewer
"he was at the head of the column";
- A difficult juncture
"matters came to a head yesterday";
- pass, straits
- Forward movement
"the ship made little head against the gale";
- A V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer
"the head of the arrow was due north";
- The subject matter at issue
"under the head of minor Roman poets";
- A line of text serving to indicate what the passage below it is about
- heading, header
- The rounded end of a bone that fits into a rounded cavity in another bone to form a joint
"the head of the humerus"
- That part of a skeletal muscle that is away from the bone that it moves
- (computing) a tiny electromagnetic coil and metal pole used to write and read magnetic patterns on a disk
- read/write head
- (usually plural) the obverse side of a coin that usually bears the representation of a person's head
"call heads or tails!"
- The striking part of a tool
"the head of the hammer"
- (nautical) a toilet on board a boat or ship
- A projection out from one end
"the head of the nail"; "a pinhead is the head of a pin"
- A membrane that is stretched taut over a drum
- Oral stimulation of the genitals
"they say he gives good head";
- oral sex
- To go or travel towards
"where is she heading"; "We were headed for the mountains"
- Be in charge of
"Who is heading this project?";
- Travel in front of; go in advance of others
"The procession was headed by John";
- Be the first or leading member of (a group) and excel
"This student heads the class";
- head up
- Determine the direction of travelling
- steer, maneuver [US], manoeuver [non-standard], manoeuvre [Brit, Cdn], direct, point, guide, channelize, channelise [Brit]
- Take its rise
"These rivers head from a mountain range in the Himalayas"
- Be in the front of or on top of
"The list was headed by the name of the president"
- Form a head, come or grow to a head
"The wheat headed early this year"
- Remove the head of
"head the fish"
Derived forms: headed, heading, heads
Type of: advance, anatomical structure, arise, article, bathroom, be, beginning, bodily structure, body structure, bog [Brit, informal], can [N. Amer, informal], closet [archaic], cognition, coil, command, complex body part, continue, control, develop, direct, domestic animal, domesticated animal, drug user, educator, elevation, external body part, foam, force per unit area, forepart, form, formation, front, front end, froth, go forward, grow, individual, john [informal], juncture, knowledge, lav [informal], lavatory, lead, leader, lie, line, linear measure, linear unit, loo [Brit, informal], mark, membrane, natural elevation, noesis, object, obverse, occasion, origin, originate, peak, pedagog [US], pedagogue, perversion, physical object, plant organ, point, precede, pressure, pressure level, proceed, progress, progression, projection, remove, rise, root, rootage, sexual perversion, source, spring up, striker, structure, subject, substance abuser, take, take away, theme, tip, toilet, top, topic, uprise, user, W.C. [Brit], water closet [Brit], withdraw, word
Antonym: foot, rear, tail
Part of: abscess, animal, animate being, arrow, beast, body, bolt, brute, coin, creature, drum, fauna, hammer, membranophone, nail, organic structure, physical structure, pin, pointer, ram, screw, skeletal muscle, striated muscle, tympan
Encyclopedia: Head, Anthony Head Head, Clara and Maria Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes Head, Clara and Maria, Ontario