Noun: variant veh-ree-unt
Adjective: variant veh-ree-unt
- An event that departs from expectations
- discrepancy, variance
- (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups
"a new variant of microorganisms";
- form, strain, var.
- A variable quantity that is random
- random variable, variate, stochastic variable, chance variable
- Something a little different from others of the same type
"a variant of the same word";
- version, variation, edition
- Differing from a norm or standard
"a variant spelling"
- Exhibiting variation and change
"letters variant in size"
Derived forms: variants
See also: different, variable
Type of: departure, deviation, difference, divergence, taxon, taxonomic category, taxonomic group, type, variable, variable quantity
Part of: species