Noun: costume 'kós,t(y)oom
Verb: costume 'kós,t(y)oom
- The attire worn in a play or at a fancy dress ball
"he won the prize for best costume"
- Unusual or period attire not characteristic of or appropriate to the time and place
"in spite of the heat he insisted on his woollen costume"
- The prevalent fashion of dress (including accessories and hair style as well as garments)
- The attire characteristic of a country or a time or a social class
"he wore his national costume"
- Dress in a costume
- dress up
- (performing arts) furnish with costumes; as for a film or play
Derived forms: costumed, costumes, costuming
Type of: apparel, attire, clothe, dress, enclothe, fit out, furnish, garb, garment, habilitate [archaic], provide, raiment [archaic], render, supply, tog
Encyclopedia: Costume Costume, Clerical