Verb: declare di'klehr
- State emphatically and authoritatively
"He declared that he needed more money to carry out the task he was charged with";
- Announce publicly or officially
"The President declared war";
- State firmly that something is true
"He declared that he was innocent"
- Judge or state to be
"She was declared incompetent";
- adjudge, hold
- Authorize payments of
- (bridge) designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand
- Make a declaration (of dutiable goods) to a customs official
"Do you have anything to declare?"
- Proclaim one's support, sympathy, or opinion for or against
"His wife declared at once for moving to the West Coast"
Derived forms: declared, declaring, declares
Type of: affirm, assert, authorise [Brit], authorize, aver, avow, clear, evaluate, exclaim, judge, pass, pass judgment, play, proclaim, promulgate, say, state, swan, swear, tell, verify