Noun: hand hand
Verb: hand hand
- The (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb
"he had the hands of a surgeon";
- manus, mitt, paw
- A hired labourer on a farm or ranch
"the hired hand fixed the railing"; "a ranch hand";
- hired hand, hired man
- Something written by hand
"his hand was illegible";
- handwriting, script
"he wanted to try his hand at singing"
- A position given by its location to the side of an object
"objections were voiced on every hand"
- The cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time
"he kept trying to see my hand"; "I didn't hold a good hand all evening";
- One of two sides of an issue
"on the one hand..., but on the other hand..."
- A rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece
"the big hand counts the minutes"
- A unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses
"the horse stood 20 hands"
- A member of the crew of a ship
"all hands on deck"
- A card player in a game of bridge
"we need a 4th hand for bridge";
- bridge player
- A round of applause to signify approval
"give the little lady a great big hand"
- Terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos)
"the kangaroo's forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"
- Physical assistance
"give me a hand with the chores";
- helping hand
- Place into the hands or custody of
"hand me the spoon, please";
- pass, reach, pass on, turn over, give
- Guide, conduct or usher somewhere
"hand the elderly lady into the taxi"
Derived forms: handing, handed, hands
See also: hand down, hand out, hand over
Type of: ability, accumulation, aggregation, aid, applause, assemblage, assist, assistance, card player, clapping, collection, conduct, crewman, direct, extremity, forepaw, guide, hand clapping, handbreadth, handsbreadth, help, jack, laborer [US], labourer [Brit, Cdn], lead, manual laborer [US], manual labourer [Brit, Cdn], pointer, power, sailor, side, take, transfer, writing
Part of: arm, homo, horologe [archaic], human, human being, man, timekeeper, timepiece
Encyclopedia: Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease Hand, Armenia Hand Hand, foot, and mouth disease Hand, foot and mouth disease Hand, foot & mouth disease Hand, foot, mouth disease