Noun: man (men) man
Verb: man (manned,manning) man
- An adult person who is male (as opposed to a woman)
"there were two women and six men on the bus";
- adult male
- (military) someone who serves in the armed forces; a member of a military force
"two men stood sentry duty";
- serviceman, military man, military personnel, servicewoman
- The generic use of the word to refer to any human being
"it was every man for himself"
- Any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- homo, human being, human
- A male subordinate
"the chief stationed two men outside the building"; "he awaited word from his man in Havana"
- An adult male person who has a manly character (virile, courageous, etc.)
"the army will make a man of you"
- A manservant who acts as a personal attendant to his employer
"Jeeves was Bertie Wooster's man";
- valet, valet de chambre, gentleman, gentleman's gentleman
- A male person who plays a significant role (husband, lover or boyfriend) in the life of a particular woman
"she takes good care of her man"
- Game equipment consisting of an object used in playing certain board games
"he taught me to set up the men on the chess board";
- All of the living human inhabitants of the earth
- world, human race, humanity, humankind, human beings, humans, mankind
Interjection: man man
- Take charge of a certain job; occupy a certain work place
"Mr. Smith manned the reception desk in the morning"
- Provide with workers
"We cannot man all the desks"; "Students were manning the booths"
- [Brit] (dialect) must
- maun [Brit], mun [Brit]
Noun: Man man
- Used to express emphasis, surprise, awe, etc.
- One of the British Isles in the Irish Sea
- Isle of Man
Derived forms: Mans, mans, manning, manned
Type of: adult, body servant, do work, foot soldier, game equipment, group, grouping, grownup, hominid, houseboy, individual, island, lover, male, male person, manservant, mortal, person, skilled worker, skilled workman, somebody, someone, soul, staff, subordinate, subsidiary, trained worker, underling, understrapper, work
Part of: British Isles, force, genus Homo, military force, military group, military unit
Encyclopedia: Man, WV