Verb: drain dreyn
Noun: drain dreyn
- Flow off gradually
"The rain water drains into this big vat";
- run out
- Deplete of resources
"The exercise class drains me of energy"
- Empty of liquid; drain the liquid from
"We drained the oil tank"
- Make weak
"Life in the camp drained him";
- enfeeble, debilitate
- Emptying something accomplished by allowing liquid to run out of it
- (surgery) tube inserted into a body cavity (as during surgery) to remove unwanted material
- A pipe through which liquid is carried away
"we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drain";
- drainpipe, waste pipe
- A gradual depletion of energy or resources
"a drain on resources"; "a drain of young talent by emigration"
Derived forms: drained, draining, drains
Type of: consume, course, deplete, depletion, eat, eat up, empty, emptying, evacuation, exhaust, feed, flow, pipage, pipe, piping, run, run through, tube, tubing, use up, voidance, weaken, wipe out
Encyclopedia: Drain, Or