Verb: govern gú-vu(r)n
- Bring into conformity with rules, principles or usage; impose regulations
"We cannot govern the way people dress";
- regulate, regularize, regularise [Brit], order
- Direct or strongly influence the behaviour of
"His belief in God governs his conduct"
- Exercise authority over; as of nations
"Who is governing the country now?";
- Require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood
"most transitive verbs govern the accusative case in German"
- Determine; be able to change
"rooms are equipped with air conditioning system to govern the temperature";
Derived forms: governs, governed, governing
Type of: ask, call for, command, control, decide, demand, determine, involve, make up one's mind, necessitate, need, postulate, require, take