Noun: painting peyn-ting
Verb: paint peynt
- Graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface
"a small painting by Picasso"; "he bought the painting as an investment";
- Creating a picture with paints
"he studied painting and sculpture for many years"
- The act of applying paint to a surface
"you can finish the job of painting faster with a roller than with a brush"
- The occupation of a house painter
"house painting was the only craft he knew";
- house painting
- (art) make a painting
"he painted all day in the garden"; "He painted a painting of the garden"
- Apply paint to; coat with paint
"We painted the rooms yellow"
- (art) make a painting of
"He painted his mistress many times"
- Apply a liquid to; e.g., paint the gutters with linseed oil
Derived forms: paintings
Type of: application, art, artistic creation, artistic production, beaux arts, coat, coating, cover, covering, craft, create, fine arts, graphic art, interpret, represent, surface, trade
Part of: building, construction
Encyclopedia: Painting Painting, Religious Paint Paint, PA Paint, Pennsylvania