Verb: pass off pãs óf
- Be accepted as something or somebody in a false character or identity
"She passed off as a Russian agent"
"She passed off the insult"
- Cause to be circulated and accepted in a false character or identity
- Disappear gradually
"The pain eventually passed off";
- evanesce, fade, blow over, fleet, pass
- (of an event) come to pass (in time, so that it is real and actual at some time)
"What is passing off?";
- happen, hap, go on, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- Expel (gases or odours)
- emit, breathe
Derived forms: passed off, passes off, passing off
Type of: appear, brush aside, brush off, disappear, discharge, discount, dismiss, disregard, eject, exhaust, expel, go away, ignore, look, make pass, pass, push aside, release, seem, vanish
Encyclopedia: Pass off