Adjective: peculiar pi'kyool-yur [N. Amer], pi'kyoo-lee-u(r) [Brit]
- Beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
"the peculiar aromatic odour of cloves";
- curious, funny, odd, queer, rum [Brit], rummy, singular
- Unique or specific to a person or thing or category
"a peculiar bond of sympathy between them"; "an expression peculiar to Canadians"; "rights peculiar to the rich";
- particular, special
- Markedly different from the usual
"a peculiar hobby of stuffing and mounting bats"; "a man...feels it a peculiar insult to be taunted with cowardice by a woman"
- Characteristic of one only; distinctive or special
"the peculiar character of the Government of the U.S."
See also: characteristic, specific, strange, unusual
Encyclopedia: Peculiar Peculiar, MO Peculiar, Missouri