Noun: representative ,re-pri'zen-tu-tiv
Adjective: representative ,re-pri'zen-tu-tiv
- A person who represents others
- An advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose
- spokesperson, interpreter, voice
- A member of the United States House of Representatives
- congressman, congresswoman, congressperson
- An item of information that is typical of a class or group
"this patient provides a typical representative of the syndrome";
- example, illustration, instance, exemplum
- Serving to represent or typify
"representative moviegoers"; "a representative modern play"
- Standing for something else
"the bald eagle is representative of the United States"
- Being or characteristic of government by representation in which citizens exercise power through elected officers and representatives
"representative government as defined by Abraham Lincoln is government of the people, by the people, for the people"
Derived forms: representatives
See also: allegoric, allegorical, democratic, emblematic, emblematical, symbolic, symbolical, typical
Type of: advocate, advocator, exponent, information, legislator, negotiant, negotiator, proponent, treater