Noun: separation ,se-pu'rey-shun
- The state of lacking unity
- Coming apart
- breakup, detachment
- The distance between things
"fragile items require separation and cushioning";
- Sorting one thing from others
"the separation of wheat from chaff"; "the separation of mail by postal zones"
- The social act of separating or parting company
"the separation of church and state"
- The space where a division or parting occurs
"he hid in the separation between walls"
- The termination of employment (by resignation or dismissal)
- (law) the cessation of cohabitation of man and wife (either by mutual agreement or under a court order)
- legal separation
- The act of dividing or disconnecting
Derived forms: separations
See also: separate
Type of: alteration, cessation, change, change of integrity, distance, final result, group action, modification, outcome, result, resultant, sorting, space, state, surcease [archaic], termination