Verb: shoot (shot) shoot
Noun: shoot shoot
- Strike with a missile from a weapon
- hit, pip
- Kill by firing a missile
- Fire a shot
"the gunman shot away";
- (movie) make a film or photograph of something
"shoot a movie";
- film, take
- Send forth suddenly, intensely, swiftly
"shoot a glance"
- Run or move very quickly or hastily
"She shot into the yard";
- dart, dash, scoot, scud, flash, whip
- Move quickly and violently
"The car shot down the street";
- tear, shoot down, charge, buck, bomb [Brit], scream
- Throw or propel in a specific direction or towards a specific objective
"shoot craps"; "shoot a golf ball"
- (photography) take a photograph
"I shot the scene of the accident";
- photograph, snap [informal], photo
- Emit (as light, flame, or fumes) suddenly and forcefully
"The dragon shot fumes and flames out of its mouth"
- Cause a sharp and sudden pain in
"The pain shot up her leg"
- Force or drive (a fluid or gas) into by piercing
- Variegate by interweaving weft threads of different colours
- Throw dice, as in a crap game
- Spend frivolously and unwisely
- fritter, frivol away, dissipate, fritter away, fool, fool away
- (sport) score
"shoot a basket"; "shoot a goal"
- Utter fast and forcefully
"She shot back an answer"
- Measure the altitude of by using a sextant
"shoot a star"
- Produce buds, branches, or germinate
- spud [informal], germinate, pullulate, bourgeon [archaic], burgeon forth, sprout, burgeon
- (medicine) give an injection to
"We shot the glucose into the patient's vein";
Interjection: shoot shoot
- A new branch
- The act of shooting at targets
"they hold a shoot every weekend during the summer"
Usage: N. Amer
- Exclamation of annoyance
- blast, bother [Brit], botheration, bummer, curses, dang [N. Amer], damn, damnation, dammit, damn it, darn, dash [Brit], durn [US, dialect], drat, hang, tarnation [N. Amer]
Sounds like: chute, Shute
Derived forms: shoots, shot, shooting
See also: shoot up
Type of: ache, administer, belt along, bucket along, cannonball along, cast, consume, contrive, discharge, dispense, emit, enclose, enter, fire, give off, give out, grow, hasten, hie [archaic], hit, hotfoot, hurry, hurt, inclose, injure, insert, interweave, introduce, kill, let loose, let out, measure, measure out, mensurate, pelt along, project, put down, put in, race, rack up, record, rush, rush along, score, shooting, shot, smart, speed, sprout, squander, step on it, stick in, tally, throw, travel rapidly, utter, ware [archaic], waste, weave, wound, zip
Encyclopedia: Shoot, Shovel and Shut-Up