Noun: staining stey-ning
Verb: stain steyn
- (histology) the use of a dye to colour specimens for microscopic study
- The act of spotting or staining something
- spotting, maculation
- Colour with a liquid dye or tint
"Stain this table a beautiful walnut colour"; "people knew how to stain glass a beautiful blue in the middle ages"
- Produce or leave stains
"Red wine stains the table cloth"
- Make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically
"The silver was stained by the long exposure to the air";
- tarnish, maculate, sully, defile
- Colour for microscopic study
Derived forms: stainings
Type of: alter, blob, blot, change, dirtying, dye, dyeing, fleck, modify, soiling, soilure, spot
Encyclopedia: Staining Staining, Lancashire Stain